The thyroid gland is a gland that is present in the front of your neck. It is responsible for the production of thyroid hormones. Some diseases negatively affect its ability to production those hormones. This will lead to disturbances in the levels of thyroid hormones in your blood.
This is known as hypothyroidism and it can cause a number of different symptoms including weight gain, dry hair, dry skin, hair loss, muscle cramps, muscle pain and the inability to tolerate cold temperatures.
Here are a few drugs that can be used to treat this condition:
Synthroid (levothyroxine) is helpful for patients who suffer from low levels of thyroid hormones (hypothyroidism). It can also help you if you have an enlarged thyroid gland (known as goiter).
Some people try to use it a weight loss medication. However, this is a bad idea for several reasons. To begin with, it may not be effective in helping you lose weight. Moreover, misusing this medication can have negative consequences on your health.
There are some cases in which the usage of this drug is contraindicated. For example, if you have an uncontrolled adrenal gland disorder, increased production of thyroid hormones (thyrotoxicosis) or a history of heart attacks, then you should avoid using this medication.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding
- If you are pregnant or nursing, you can still use Synthroid. Thyroid treatment is not only considered generally safe for pregnant women, it can also decrease the odds of pregnancy loss (compared to untreated women). On the other hand, low levels of thyroid hormones can cause many problems for both you and your baby. So, it is crucial to ask your doctor to prescribe you a suitable dose.
- If you are breastfeeding, you should avoid giving any medication to your child without consulting your doctor first. This is because children younger than 6 years old should not take this drug.
Your doctor should be able to determine the dose suitable for your medical condition. So, you should try to follow your doctor’s instructions. However, if you accidentally take an overdose, you should seek medical help as soon as possible. Some of the symptoms that may occur as a result of overdosing include headache, tremors, leg cramps, and feeling nervous or agitated
CYTOMEL (liothyronine sodium tablets) is also used in cases of the presence of low levels of thyroid hormone in your body(hypothyroidism) as well as cases of thyroid gland enlargement. It can also be used to test whether a thyroid disorder is present or not.
- You should take CYTOMEL according to the schedule described by your doctor. Also, it can be a good idea to take it at the same time every day. The full effect of CYTOMEL may need serval weeks to appear. However, if your symptoms improve, you shouldn’t stop taking the drug on your own.
- If you forget to take one dose, it is important to take the drug as soon as you remember.
– You shouldn’t take two doses of the drug at the same time: Always stick to the dose your doctor advised you to follow.
– You should be candid with your doctor: Make sure to tell your doctor about any other drugs you are taking. This is crucial because Cytomel can interact with other drugs. Also, don’t forget to let your doctor know if you have any food allergies.
– You should also mention any medical conditions you have especially adrenal gland disorders.
– If you are diabetic, you may need to check the levels of glucose in your blood some-what regularly.
CYTOMEL falls into category A of drugs. This means that it is generally safe to use during pregnancy. However, your doctor may need to increase your dose. So, you need to let him know if you are already pregnant or if you plan to become pregnant in the near future.
The side effects of CYTOMEL can depend on how you take the drug. Nausea, diarrhea, sweating and insomnia are all common side effects of oral intake of CYTOMEL. On the other hand, using injectable forms of the drug can lead to an increase in the heart rate (tachycardia) as well as irregularities in the rhythm of the heart (arrhythmia).
Armour Thyroid is extracted from natural sources mainly, pigs.
Armour Thyroid can be used to treat hypothyroidism, goiter as well as testing thyroid function. It can also be prescribed to thyroid cancer patients.
– Always keep an extra supply of this medication in your house. As it is important to make sure you won’t
run out of it.
– Armour Thyroid can trigger an allergic reaction, which will lead to symptoms of breathing difficulties and swelling of the face, lips, tongue, or throat. In this case, you should seek immediate medical help.
– If you are diabetic, above 65, pregnant/planning to become pregnant or breastfeeding, tell your doctor and discuss your condition to get the best medical care.
– As with any drug, you should tell your doctor about other drugs you are taking, any food allergies you have and any existing health problem you have.
Hair loss is a very common side effect especially in the first few months when your body is still adjusting to the drug. However, this is only temporary, so don’t worry. But if it doesn’t improve and keeps getting worse, then it is very important to tell your doctor.
The dose of this drug differs from one person to another. It all depends on how you respond to it as well as on your laboratory finding.